Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A True Fan

I've come to realize that although I'm living in the New York metropolitan area, it's been a difficult couple weeks for a Red Sox fan. That made me ask myself, what makes a true fan? Is it the fan who is always bragging about their team or is it the fan who sits quietly and enjoys the game. I think it's a question that can run both sides of the line. I consider myself the latter, I am appreciaitive when I can watch a Sox game on TV and have truly been enjoying the playoffs, even in the midst of their struggles on the mound. I've encountered many friends of mine who are not Sox fans who are cheering for Tampa since they are Yankee fans. Would a true fan cheer another team on out of spite, I think between the Yankees and Red Sox rivalry -- Yes. However, when you come across one of the "quiet fans," I think the respect that they've shown you the past should be reciprocated. Friendly banter is fun and enjoyable for everyone, don't get me wrong -- sometimes, though, people should just be aware of what has been said to them in the past.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hang in there Erin. As a Met fan, I'll never wish ill will to the Red Sox or their fans. I think there's a special place in hell for the Steinbrenners!